Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Research Paper Presentations

I thought all the presentations were executed well. It did differ for some people, because some had more time to prepare than others. I was somewhat surprised that there are about 4 or 5 people doing their papers on how doctors and their patient’s communication; and the more intriguing part is that they all show different views on how to go about to treat the linguistic issue at hand. I believe that the most interesting paper will be the one on Artificial Intelligence and how language computes into that issue, because well who does not find Artificial Intelligence interesting? And plus it is the only distinct topic from everyone else in the class. I also like the last speech on Monday about accounting. I found it interesting how people lose millions of dollars for the first 3 or 4 years, before they start to make money. I also learned that visual aids are key to presentations and they helped a lot. Eric had a good demonstration on the chalkboard with the chicken, the accounting information sheet I just talked about, how one drew how A.I. operated on the chalkboard, and how the hostage negotiation steps worked. Those are the ones I found myself more interested in than the others who just talked the whole time I felt as if the papers dealing with political science said the same thing everytime. That is probably because I am not big fan of politics and it all seems rather annoying to me. I think that presentations being enforced before the final paper or rough draft is due is very helpful, because it helps one organize his/her paper more and shows them what they need to include or exclude from their final draft. These speeches can also help others within the class if they had the same topic, because someone else research can tie in with yours that would perhaps help you get your arguments and points across more precisely.

No comments: